Culture We Have and Could Have



So culture is a set of shared beliefs values and attitudes by a social group.  Maybe because this is a biased opinion but I think America is possibly one of the hardest working and most God believing group of people to be found. I know I've been taught about the Industrial Revolution and a lot of the first immigrants here after Native Americans were apart of that.  I feel that culture of innovation and discovery seeped it's way  into North America.

 One principle of American culture that I love is how much we work.  We put in on average 40 hour work weeks and as a culture are expected to pitch in and find employment. The fact that we have so much amenities and what other countries would considered luxuries we have to make enough money to maintain all of those.  So yes hard work is a cultural principle that I think Americans seem to be good at.

 Another aspect of American culture I cherish is that we are one nation under God.  And it's not an abnormal thing to wish people Merry Christmas or a happy Christ holiday that is found in the word Christmas and say a pledge and buy coins that have the word God.  I think other countries that are financially well-off don't seem to be as God believing compared to America.  And all the principles that have helped this country prosper starting with the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution has made our country what it is today and steering away from Christian based values could be where our country may become worse.

Now to complain,  I think one place where America is lacking is where we are not connected in the pride of our country in the background of our culture and care of it.  It's possible that now many Americans today just live to make money and  take care of themselves. And with the internet and smartphones people are so engulfed in having things in seconds that caring for someone and becoming intimate with a conversation seems to be too selfless for the common American today. We could improve this possibly by offering government funded classes about how material things isn"t emotionally filling, and always staying busy isn't necessarily a good things when caring and noticing people becomes a rare occurrence.

The second value of culture I think America lacks very much in is Familism, especially with our friends in raising the young generation.  Many kids today seem to feel entitled with public school, and with all the laws on no physical contact or punishment that can still be found in many other countries.  And what this could lead to is little brats that don't learn how real life functions until they're 18 and the upcoming little brats act just like they did when they were young.  I think we can do better acting out the quote “it takes a village to raise a child”  meaning if a little pest is acting misbehaved down the street other adults can take Liberty and spank them.  Another example is if someone is being bullied by a bully in a school. Other kids can use physical contact to stop it from continuing to happen.  I think this would be good because bulling doesn't ever seem to stop by adults just requesting it to stop but it has to begin to end with the peers of the bully and bullied.  This is because it's such a delicate occurrence that it's possible only the peers can only see it really happening. So overall I think getting kids to respect elders and behave as they grow and mature can only be effective by allowing a little bit of vigilante justice.


If America kept these values as welling as adding in the last two I could see think country improving even more from what it already is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Its important to be a father

Cohabitating